The Resonate Awards
About the Awards
The Resonate Awards honor outstanding achievement in renewable energy and sustainability-focused science and technology.
Awarded to up-and-coming innovators under the age of 40, an ideal honoree’s work charts new pathways or opens up new areas to solutions with long-term impacts on sustainability challenges such as energy security, climate change and the environment.
Drawing on Caltech’s legacy of innovation, the Resnick Sustainability Institute seeks to recognize next-generation pioneers from around the world and their contributions to sustainability across all disciplines rooted in the sciences and technology.
Nominationss are currently closed. 2018 Nominations opened on Monday, November 6, 2017 and closed Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 11:59 pm Pacific. Check back in late Fall for 2019 nominations.
Nomination Components Include
Go To Nomination Form
- A one page research summary. Include how the nominee's research, project, or innovation is original and potentially world-changing. Describe what grand challenge in sustainability it addresses, and its potential impact in terms of benefit to society and/or potential commercial success.
- CV including list of publications
- A nomination letter
- Not less than two additional letters of support
- Internal review panel comprised of Resnick Sustainability Institute leadership performs preliminary investigation of the nominee
- Successful nominees are notified that they are being considered for an award and a phone or videoconference interview with Resnick Sustainability Institute leadership is organized
- 12 finalists are selected by the Resnick Sustainability Institute’s internal leadership team
- Advisory Panel evaluates finalists and selects up to 4 winners
- The Resonate Awards are intended for innovators from all over the world who may have been recognized by their peers, but not by more general communities.
- Potential impact of the work to change the balance of the world’s sustainability/change the world.
- Creativity and originality of the idea.
- Nominee’s ability to articulate their work and its importance to a broad audience and serve as an ambassador of sustainability science.
Rules, Conditions & Details
- Nominees must be under age 40 as of 11/6/2017
- The awards are international; recipient(s) can be of any nationality
- All submissions should be made electronically via the online nomination portal no later than 1/21/2018 at 11:59 pm Pacific.
- The Resnick Institute is the sole sponsor of these awards.
- All press releases should be approved by the Resnick Sustainability Institute before being published.
- All questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winners will be selected in Spring and announced in Fall 2018, at the Resnick Young Investigators Symposium. Following the Symposium, winners will be honored at a private reception.
The 2015 Resonate Awards were presented in Aspen and the winners participated in a panel discussion at the Aspen Ideas Festival titled "Will Technology Save the Planet?"
The 2014 Resonate Awards were presented at Fortune's Brainstorm Green Conference by Resnick Institute Director Harry Atwater and Fortune's Stephanie Mehta.