Resonate Awards Advisory Panel Announced
PASADENA, CA – MARCH 25, 2014
The advisory panel for Caltech’s Resnick Sustainability Institute 2014 Resonate Awards, which honor breakthrough achievements in energy science and sustainability, has been announced today. Included are executives from Google and Facebook, scientists from top universities and national labs, current and former members of the cabinets of Taiwan, Japan and the U.S., and leading business journalists.
The goal of the Awards is to celebrate innovators who bring new ideas or contributions to the field of sustainability, particularly ideas that have not already gained widespread attention. Work being considered may be from a variety of disciplines, including science, technology, economics, public policy or others, as long as it has the potential for global, long-term impact.
“Our judges have each dedicated their careers to having a long term impact on sustainability,” said Dr. Harry Atwater, director of the Resnick Sustainability Institute and Caltech’s Howard Hughes Professor of Physics. “They come from diverse disciplines and have the experience and perspective to identify the leading ideas that can attack the most difficult problems that face our environment.”
The 2014 Resonate Award advisory panel includes:
- Dr. Paul Alivisatos: Samsung Distinguished Professor of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology at UC Berkeley; Director of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Dr. Harry Atwater: Howard Hughes Professor of Applied Physics and Materials Science at Caltech; Director, Resnick Sustainability Institute
- John Bryson: Distinguished Senior Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson International Center; Founder, Bryson Climate Change Initiative
- Dr. Cyrus Chu: Former Minister of the National Science Council, Republic of China
- Brian Dumaine: Senior Editor at large at Fortune Magazine
- Dr. Harry Gray: Arnold O. Beckman Professor of Chemistry at Caltech; Founding Director, Beckman Institute
- Mark Gunther: Editor at Large of Guardian Sustainable Business US; Contributor at Fortune Magazine
- Dr. Susan Hackwood: Executive Director of the California Council on Science & Technology (CCST); Professor of Electrical Engineering at UC Riverside
- Dr. Arun Majumdar: Vice President for Energy at Google; Former Founding Director of ARPA-E; Former Undersecretary for Energy & Senior Advisor to the Secretary of Energy
- Koji Omi: Founder and Chairman of Science and Technology in Society (STS) Forum; Former Minister of Finance – Japan; Former Minister of State for Science and Technology Policy –Japan
- Dr. Bill Weihl: Sustainability Guru at Facebook
- Dr. Diane Evans; Director of NASA JPL Earth Science and Technology Directorate
The judging process is taking place over a several month period and Resonate Award Honorees will be announced on May 19, 2014.
About The Resnick Sustainability Institute
The Resnick Institute is Caltech’s studio focused on the breakthroughs that will change the balance of the world’s sustainability. It marries bold creativity and deep scientific knowledge by encouraging original thinking and orthogonal ideas. The Resnick Institute works with some of the world’s top and emerging scientists—at the California Institute of Technology and beyond. Current projects at the Resnick Institute include research into energy generation, such as advanced photovoltaics, photoelectrochemical solar fuels, cellulosic biofuels, and wind energy system design; energy conversion work on batteries and fuel cells; and energy efficiency and management such as fuel efficient vehicles, green chemical synthesis, thermoelectric materials, and advanced research on electrical grid control and distribution.